Campaign to Include the Disability
Community in Pandemic Response Legislation
As you know, legislation continues to move through Congress to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is essential that this legislation includes provisions to support people with disabilities, family caregivers, and the direct support professional workforce.
We know people with disabilities will be disproportionally impacted, and we are worried we are being left out.
The Arc is launching a campaign called #WeAreEssential and asking chapters across the country to help us promote this critical message. We know this is a very challenging time for your chapter and taking on another task is a big ask—we hope you find these materials to be impactful and easy to implement at this critical advocacy moment.
We have developed a toolkit for chapters, which includes:
- Action alerts (call, email, and tweet)
- A video campaign asking people to take videos of themselves answering a prompt and using the #WeAreEssential hashtag
- Sample letters to the editor
- Sample social media posts and graphics
Instructions for Download
Open the link provided and choose one of the following options:
- OPTION A: Download a zip file of all assets.
- Click "download" in the top right corner.
- OPTION B: Download only the files you want.
- Click the file you want to download.
- Click the down arrow to save the file.
Please use these materials to continue to spread the word in your communities. We are so grateful for all of your advocacy! Please keep up the messages to Congress!
Please contact Claire Manning, Director of Advocacy & Mobilization, at email@example.com with any questions about the toolkit.
March 23, 2020
Dear Members of The Arc Family:
The Arc Middlesex County continues to respond to the evolving Coronavirus situation based on daily information from federal and state authorities. Review of all responses are made daily against the most recent guidance available. To that end, please be aware of the following:
- Adult Day Programs (Career Centers) are currently closed until further notice
- Afterschool programs are suspended until further notice
- Saturday program suspended until further notice
- Supported Employment program only conducting phone consult
- Our Enrichment program is suspended
- Residential Services: No outside visitors; only essential community activities
- Administrative Support: The main office is open with limited hours, staggered, and remote staffing; only essential visitors
Thank you to everyone especially our direct support professionals who are reporting to work every day to support our participants living in our residential services. These front-line staff are caring for our residents as they would their own family. As most of you are aware, this is a tremendous undertaking in the middle of a national public health crisis. Please know that our staff are taking all of the necessary safety precautions as I am certain are all of you.
Working together and supporting each other, we will be a stronger Arc family. Wishing you continued good health.
The Arc Middlesex County encourages you to join us in monitoring state and national public health websites for the most up to date information and guidance.